Re: Getting 3d printable models out of 3d graphics in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121046] Re: Getting 3d printable models out of 3d graphics in Mathematica
  • From: Yves Klett <yves.klett at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 07:51:21 -0400 (EDT)

There are all kinds of thingies like
overlapping/intersecting/degenerated faces/edges, open/multiple shells,
holes and such that can make your life hard.

Some 3D-modelling programs offer the option to reorient face normals in
a consistent fashion and some allow for "repair" of STL meshes. I used
Rhino3D for this purpose, but the result is not always optimal. Unless
you know exactly why some interpreter has problems with your geometry,
solving this will be hard.

Regards,
Yves