Re: decoding inbuilt function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121055] Re: decoding inbuilt function
  • From: Dana DeLouis <dana01 at me.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 07:05:52 -0400 (EDT)

> ...can any body please tell me how the inbuilt function
> limit works and the logic behind it...

Hi.  In the Help section, there is an interesting section in the Virtual Book called:
`Some Notes on Internal Implementation`

One can just search the term  ` Internal Implementation

`Some Notes on Internal Implementation`

Series and Limits
Series works by recursively composing series expansions of functions with series expansions of their arguments.

Limits are found from series and using other methods.

Assumptions in limits and series are processed using a general-purpose evaluate-with-assumptions mechanism built into Refine and Simplify.
- - - -

So, there it is.  That`s not much help I know.

Another section that is interesting reading is entitled:
` Why You Do Not Usually Need to Know about Internals`

The general idea from this section is that software implementations are usually much different than school house implementations.

Good Luck. :>)
Dana DeLouis
$Version
8.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (November 6, 2010)