Re: decoding inbuilt function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121099] Re: decoding inbuilt function
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 08:17:29 -0400 (EDT)

As another poster has indicated, the Mathematica "internals"
documentation is totally vague about how Limit is programmed. It says
nothing there about the Gruntz algorithm. That algorithm is only 14
years old (see Gruntz's thesis:
http://www.cybertester.com/data/gruntz.pdf), whereas Mathematica has
been around since 1988. As a rule, Wolfram Research does incorporate new
methods when appropriate.

Aside from Gruntz's thesis, referenced above, you could look, e.g., at:
http://docs.sympy.org/dev/modules/series.html

Perhaps further on-line search will reveal better sources.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305