Re: Problem with Patterns and Integrate

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123316] Re: Problem with Patterns and Integrate
  • From: Barrie Stokes <Barrie.Stokes at newcastle.edu.au>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 05:52:02 -0500 (EST)

Hi Albert

(Apologies for posting this question under a wrong subject - I've re-posted with a more indicative subject.)

Re: "That is very different from what SystemOpen does: SystemOpen uses the operating system to open files -- with whatever the system settings will do with them.",
I should have said more, but that is exactly what I suspected; how else could SystemOpen open and run any file for which there is a nominated application, with said application.

Re: "I don't know the combination of MacOS and Parallels/VMWare well enough, but whether that is possible or not has nothing to do with Mathematica",
Again, perhaps I should have been clearer. I asked this question on this Group because this is the Group that would have experience with SystemOpen. Whether or not it works is an empirical question.  I just wanted to know whether SystemOpen will do what I asked about, before I buy and set up  a new MacBook Pro as descreibed in my question. Maybe I should now wait to see if any Mathematica user has had some experience with this issue. To put it another way, I'm looking for an evidence-based answer, and hoping too that someone from Wolfram has some guidance  - or experience - to offer.

Re: "hth", yes it does, insofar as it confirms my own speculations/hopes to a great extent. As you say, "Usually there are means to share file systems among the hosting OS and the virtual machine". I just want some confirmation that what I want to do is not an exception that proves a rule.

Thanks

Barrie