Re: A matrix element specified by a vector?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123355] Re: A matrix element specified by a vector?
  • From: "Oleksandr Rasputinov" <oleksandr_rasputinov at hmamail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 04:12:45 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 12:25:24 -0000, Ralph Dratman
<ralph.dratman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am wondering if there is a more compact way to express the following
> idea:
>
> myMatrix[[   myVector[[1]],  myVector[[2]]   ]]  =  myScalar
>
> This keeps coming up. Did I miss the quick and easy way to do it? Of
> course it looks even uglier in 3 dimensions.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Ralph Dratman

If the vector has only two elements (or only three in the 3-d case), you
could use

myMatrix[[ Sequence@@myVector ]]  =  myScalar

to accomplish the same thing. I think this is about as compact as you are
going to get since this operation cannot really be simplified much
further. However, it doesn't look particularly verbose to me even in the
form you give above. Are you finding that you need to do this for many
values of myVector and myScalar at the same time? Certainly that operation
could be made more compact by using e.g. MapThread.