MathGroup Archive 2011

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: How to get elements satisfying specific condition from a list

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123382] Re: How to get elements satisfying specific condition from a list
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 05:14:13 -0500 (EST)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com

I'm sure I can, and I suggest that you spend a couple of weeks studying the very basics of Mathematica.
Now, first, don't use capitalized letters to name variables (so as to avoid possible conflicts with Mathematica's own symbols).Second, it's not necessary to use B:= in your definition of B (:= means "SetDelayed"; a simple "Set" = would be enough).Third, you are wrong in the first problem; the answer is not {{5,5},{5,6},{6,5},{6,6}}.
Then, you may use the following:
t = Table[{x, y}, {x, 1, 6}, {y, 1, 6}];Select[Partition[Flatten[t], 2], #[[1]] + #[[2]] > 9 &]{{4, 6}, {5, 5}, {5, 6}, {6, 4}, {6, 5}, {6, 6}}
i = Range[9]{1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9}Select[i, Sqrt[#] > 2 &]{5, 6, 7, 8, 9}
-Tomas

> Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 02:51:23 -0500
> From: e-changb at hanmail.net
> Subject: How to get elements satisfying specific condition from a list
> To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>
> Hi, please help me if you can.. Let
>
> B:= Table[{x, y}, {x, 1, 6}, {y, 1, 6}]
>
> It is clear that B has 36 elements.
>
> I want to get the list of elements satisfying
> 'the first component + second component is bigger than 9'
>
> so that the answer is
>
> {{5,5},{5,6},{6,5},{6,6}}.
>
> In fact, I have no idea for following even simpler problem. : Let A be a set of all natural numbers less than 10. Find every element whose squre root is bigger than 2. (needless to say the answer is {5,6,7,8,9})
>
> Can you help me ?
>

• Prev by Date: Re: How to get elements satisfying specific condition from a list
  • Next by Date: Re: Root finding needs higher accuracy
  • Previous by thread: Re: How to get elements satisfying specific condition from a list
  • Next by thread: Re: How to get elements satisfying specific condition from a list