MathGroup Archive 2011

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Need help integrating Wolfram Alpha data in Mathematica

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123410] Re: Need help integrating Wolfram Alpha data in Mathematica
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 03:12:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com
  • References: <201112051017.FAA04969@smc.vnet.net>

WolframAlpha["proton mass in kilograms","ComputableData"][[1]]

1.6726217*10^-27

Needs["PhysicalConstants`"]

ProtonMass

1.67262*10^-27 Kilogram

Bob Hanlon

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 5:17 AM, Dave M <cvk1812 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using Wolfram Mathematica 8, and I have a question about using Wolfram Alpha data in my calculations.
>
> What I would like to do is to pull data from the Wolfram Alpha search engine, and then store it in a Mathematica variable for future use. I cannot figure out how to do this easily.
>
> To illustrate what I mean, here's a simple example. Let's say I want the mass of a proton in kilograms. I can obtain this by simply typing "== mass of proton in kilograms", upon which Mathematica contacts the Wolfram Alpha server, and downloads a lot of data.
>
> This data doesn't only contain the actual number I wanted, it is actually a huge table with many cells containing information about how Wolfram Alpha parsed my query, the assumptions used, conversions of the answer to various other units, etc.
>
> However, all I wanted was simply the answer to my query in a computable numeric form, so I could store that in a variable in Mathematica.
>
> I can get somewhat usable results if I do something like this:
>
> WolframAlpha["mass of proton in kilograms", {{"Result", 1},
>  "ComputableData"}]
>
> However, this is a pretty complicated way of doing something really simple. Is there some simpler method that involves much less typing?
>

• Prev by Date: Re: reducing the size of a Manipulate slider control, problem when using ImageSize
  • Next by Date: Re: Transparent textures from images
  • Previous by thread: Need help integrating Wolfram Alpha data in Mathematica
  • Next by thread: Re: Need help integrating Wolfram Alpha data in Mathematica