Study of a real function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123431] Study of a real function
  • From: Vicent <vginer at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 06:14:12 -0500 (EST)

Hello.

This is an "old" question ,but I would like to ask it here again in order
to get your suggestions. I would appreciate any kind of help.

I am interested in studying a one-variable real function called F(x). In
fact, I want to PROVE what I can see when I plot it: it has only one
maximum and it decreases as "x" goes to infinity, and it also decreases if
"x" decreases ("x" ranges from 2 to infinity).

The problem is that the definition or expression for F depends on some
integer parameters. So, in fact, I don't have a single function F but a
"set" or "class" or "collection" of functions F with the same structure. By
plotting them it seems to me that in ALL possible cases F will have the
same behavior I want to prove, but obviously the maximum depends on the
values of the integer parameters I just mentioned. And I want to PROVE it
for the general case, of course.

I got the analytic expression for the first derivative of F by using this:

derivF[p1_, p2_, x_] = D[F[p1, p2, x], x]

where p1 and p2 stand for those integer parameters I mentioned.

I tried to look for maximums and/or mimimums of F by solving The
function  derivF
 derivF ==0, but derivF seems to be too complex for the Mathematica command
Solve.

I also tried to do something like this: Reduce[F[parameters, x] <= 0,
lambda], but it is still "Running...".

So... What would you recommend me to do? F is a "strange" but still
continuous function. It involves the use of the function "Erfc".

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

--
vicent
dooid.com/vicent