Bug when pasting PDF graphics on Mac

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123473] Bug when pasting PDF graphics on Mac
  • From: JUN <noeckel at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 05:26:04 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
I just got confirmation of a bug from Wolfram, so I thought I'd pass
it on to the list.  It involves pasting PDF (portable document format,
not the distribution function...) into Mathematica 8.0.4.0 from other
applications on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Pasting the PDF into a notebook produces a graphic that cannot be
properly exported as PDF.

To verify, create the file test.pdf with
Export["test.pdf","test"]
Then open test.pdf in Mac Preview.app (the default PDF viewer), choose
the Select tool and press Apple-C to copy.
With this PDF on the clipboard, go back to Mathematica and type
Export["test2.pdf",   ]
in the space for the second argument, paste the clipboard contents
using Apple-V in a new cell.
After saving the new file, open it in Preview.app. The display is
empty.

Recently, this has bothered me enough that I've tried to make a work-
around in the form of an alternative "paste button" palette. The
current state of my efforts is posted here:

http://uoregon.edu/~noeckel/computernotes/Mathematica/pasteExternalPDF.html

Jens