Re: Inverse Function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123619] Re: Inverse Function
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 05:42:12 -0500 (EST)

On 12/12/11 at 6:43 AM, harryhar800 at gmail.com (Harry Har) wrote:

>I'm newbie in Mathematica. I want to find the inverse function of
>y=(ax +b)/(cx+d). How to to this in Mathematica? Many thank's.

In this particular case, Solve can be used to find the inverse
function as follows:

In[9]:= eq = y == (a x + b)/(c x + d);
sol = Solve[eq, x];

And the desired function is:

In[11]:= f = x /. First[sol]

Out[11]= (d*y - b)/(a - c*y)

Which can be verified to be the inverse function by:

In[12]:= (f /. (Rule @@ eq)) // Simplify

Out[12]= x

However, this method is limited to functions which can be
explicitly inverted symbolically something that cannot be done
in general.