Variables within With statement

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123660] Variables within With statement
  • From: "Harvey P. Dale" <hpd1 at nyu.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 04:51:48 -0500 (EST)

	Is there any easy way to have one variable within a With
statement take its value from a prior variable in the same With
statement?  For example, if I evaluate With[{a = 5, b = 10 a}, a + b], I
get 5 + 10a, and what I want is 55.  I can get there like this: With[{a
= 5}, With[{b = 10 a}, a + b]] -- which does produce 55 -- but it would
be nicer if I could use a single With statement and get b, within it, to
take its value from a.

	Thanks.

	Harvey