Re: Does Union[] reliably sort?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123706] Re: Does Union[] reliably sort?
  • From: Shizu <slivo.vitz at msa.hinet.net>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:46:46 -0500 (EST)

Mathematically, we don't sort a collection of elements to make it a set.  For computational purposes, sorted sets are easier to compare.  And Mathematica tries to put an expression (say, a set) into a standard (sorted) form during evaluation.  The question of "reliability" depends on what we do with the list.  Sets are just a special case of lists in Mathematica.  Search "guide/ListManipulation" for functions on lists.