question on security warning message "this file contains potentially unsafe dynamic content" with Manipulate notebook

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123830] question on security warning message "this file contains potentially unsafe dynamic content" with Manipulate notebook
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 06:57:04 -0500 (EST)

I am finally able to reproduce this message that I get once in a while.

This in on V8.04, on windows 7.

While trying things, I found how to make Mathematica generate the above
message when I open a notebook with Manipulate in it.

I will show the code that generated this message, and have
a follow up question on Dynamic module inside Manipulate.

First the error message screen shot:

http://12000.org/tmp/dec_20_2011/error_message.png

I now hit 'enable dynamics' and all seems well. But each time
I reopen the notebook, I get the message again.

So I do not understand this warning message, and why it comes up.

The code to generate it is:

--------------------------------------
Manipulate[

  DynamicModule[{p},
   p["x"] = 0;
   Row[{Dynamic[
      Refresh[p["x"]++; Row[{"p[x]=", p["x"]}],
       TrackedSymbols -> {n}]]}]
   ],

  Button["update counter", n++],
  {{n,0}, None}
  ]

The above is on its own notebook, with nothing else in the notebook.

I close M, then start it, then open the notebook, and I see the above
message.

Now, to remove the message, I found out that the use of p["x"] is
what seems to be causing it. Because I closed the above notebook, and
made a new notebook with this code:

-------------------------
Manipulate[

  DynamicModule[{p},
   p = 0;
   Row[{Dynamic[Refresh[p++; Row[{"p=", p}], TrackedSymbols -> {n}]]}]
   ],

  Button["update counter", n++],
  {{n, 0}, None}
  ]
-----------------------------

Then closed M, and started it again, and opened the above notebook,
and now I do not see the warning message.

The only difference is that one has p["x"] and the other has just p.

So, why is using p["x"] causing the security warning message?

p["x"] is an indexed object as explained in this page:

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/MakingDefinitionsForIndexedObjects.html

And now for the follow up question: In the second example above, where
the warning do not show up, I noticed that the value of 'p' is not saved
when I close the notebook.

So that when I start the notebook again, I was expecting the counter,
which is the value of p,to be at the value it was before I closed
the notebook. This is because 'p' belongs to a DynamicModule[] (just
like Manipulate control variables keep the same state when one
closes the notebook and open it again.)

What do I need to change in example 2 above to achieve this? I must
be doing something silly, I just do not see it now.

thank you,
--Nasser