Excel XLS Import slowdown in version 8

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116187] Excel XLS Import slowdown in version 8
  • From: Chris Chiasson <chris.chiasson at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 01:41:00 -0500 (EST)

I have noticed in Mathematica version 8 that Excel (.xls, not the new
format) importing is about 3.5 times slower than in version 7. I
noticed this because I have a script that reads two sheets from many
Excel files that used to take 1.5 seconds per file that now takes
around 5.18 seconds per file (AbsoluteTiming). Nothing else is done in
that part of the script; it is just a map of an Import command over a
list of Excel files. Is anyone else experiencing this slowdown? What
is the cause? Are there any remedies?