NDSolve changed bahaviour in version 8?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116254] NDSolve changed bahaviour in version 8?
  • From: Michael Weyrauch <michael.weyrauch at gmx.de>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 05:07:47 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

    I am using NDSolve for the solution of large (say 10.000)
sets of coupled non-linear ordinary differential equations.

After "upgrading" to Mathematica 8 I observe that programs, that work
well under Mathematica 6 (i.e. finish in about 3 hours) never finish
in Mathematica 8 (i.e. I stop them after about 24 hours). The code is
identical.

Does anyone have similar experience? Does anyone know of changes
in the NDSolve codebase, e.g. step size management? Is there
any way to restore Mathematica 6 performance of NDSolve?

Thanks for any ideas.

Michael Weyrauch