Re: Bug in ParallelDo?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116337] Re: Bug in ParallelDo?
  • From: Armand Tamzarian <mike.honeychurch at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 04:16:27 -0500 (EST)

On Feb 10, 9:24 pm, Thomas M=FCnch <thomas.mue... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this a bug in ParallelDo? The parallel Kernels do not seem to see the
> definitions propely.
>
> LaunchKernels[]
> \[ScriptCapitalD] = SmoothKernelDistribution[{1, 2, 3, 4}]
> DistributeDefinitions[\[ScriptCapitalD]]
> Print@"Table:"
> Table[{$KernelID,RandomVariate[\[ScriptCapitalD]]}, {2}] (* This is fine *)
> Print@"Do:"
> Do[Print@{$KernelID,RandomVariate[\[ScriptCapitalD]]}, {2}] (* This is
> fine *)
> Print@"ParallelTable:"
> ParallelTable[{$KernelID,RandomVariate[\[ScriptCapitalD]]}, {2}] (* This
> is fine *)
> Print@"ParallelDo:"
> ParallelDo[Print@{$KernelID,RandomVariate[\[ScriptCapitalD]]}, {2}] (*
> This is NOT fine *)
>
> This is Mathematica V8 on Windows XP, machine with 4 Cores. I have
> reported this to TechSupport.

This isn't the cause of your problem but in version 8, you don't need
to use DistributeDefinitions. This is undocumented but tech support
told me. The reason this isn't explicitly documented is that users are
supposed to infer this from the documentation relating to a new option
called DistributedContext.

Mike

Mike