Re: new Graph function + combinatorica: various problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116375] Re: new Graph function + combinatorica: various problems
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 05:19:50 -0500 (EST)

I posted on graph conversion a couple of weeks ago.

Shading of Graph can be prevented by prepending the System` context
(System`Graph[...]).

The two versions of conversion yield different plots in GraphPlot.
Also my conversion route both yield minimum and maximum spanning trees
(although for the graphs I tested them, they look identical). The
ToCombinatoricaGraph conversion yields graphs for which (for all
graphs I tested) the minimum spanning tree does not plot.

Clearly, there is room for improvement in the graph area.

<< Combinatorica`
<< GraphUtilities`

myM8Graph = GraphData["ZamfirescuGraph48"]

(* conversion 1 *)
myCombinatoricaGraph =
  FromAdjacencyMatrix[Normal[System`AdjacencyMatrix[myM8Graph]]];

myCombinatoricaGraph // ShowGraph
MinimumSpanningTree[myCombinatoricaGraph] // ShowGraph
MaximumSpanningTree[myCombinatoricaGraph] // ShowGraph

(* conversion 2*)
myCombinatoricaGraph = ToCombinatoricaGraph[myM8Graph];

myCombinatoricaGraph // ShowGraph
MinimumSpanningTree[myCombinatoricaGraph] // ShowGraph
MaximumSpanningTree[myCombinatoricaGraph] // ShowGraph

Cheers -- Sjoerd