Services & Resources / Wolfram Forums / MathGroup Archive
-----

MathGroup Archive 2011

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Another point about Mathematica 8.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116372] Re: Another point about Mathematica 8.0
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 05:19:17 -0500 (EST)
  • References: <iiten7$jl5$1@smc.vnet.net> <ij0e3s$992$1@smc.vnet.net> <ij2ujh$7hi$1@smc.vnet.net>

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/linux_unix/article.php/3886161/Is-Sticking-With-Solaris-a-Wise-Choice.htm

On Feb 11, 10:13 am, P_ter <petervansumme... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, if your argument is that I should always do the same as you, that is
> to particular.  And! Yes, not in business I would have bought otherwise.
> So, my arguments come from a different field. Let me explain.  As a
> small business I had reasons to buy this machine. And the representative
> of Wolfram knew that I bought it especially for Mathematica. As far
> as I could see in the platform list of Mathematica it was ok. Your
> argument of "exotic machine" was not valid. The operating system was
> in the list.  SUN is not dwindling for some time. It grew in software,
> that is a great asset!  But it was not commercially well run. Now that
> has changed. And the one who bought it already has good profit from that
> part. Many had that confusion about profit and valuable assets. Not
> so the business analysts.  Could that takeover be the reason of not
> supporting Mathematica 8.0 anymore for this platform? The change in
> ownership happened like overnight.  And I got the message just a few
> months ago, nearly at the same moment. For me it means that I lost a
> connection with a system suited for business.
>
> Also, there are in many countries business  laws which state that any
> business should act in good faith. The ground is that business  runs
> on trust.  Any business should communicate with his customers over a
> change in policy in ample time. Investment would halt if otherwise.
> Clearly your argument is valid only for the single user in an academic
> supported environment.  But for a business it does not bring credentials.
> My point is also that even if it concerns a sinking ship, this is not
> done in a policy of continuity with the customer.  If you read the
> current discussion elsewhere on this forum about the home edition of
> Mathematica 8.0, one can recognize that single users is an outsider
> what so ever.  Once outside a business model (the university, students)
> one is on its own.  I object against this attitude. The people who
> support the purchase in the academic field - as a system to be used -
> will think about it. It is eating up that people support.  In my case
> there is some extra: from one moment to the other, the business model
> changed. Beware of that. That is my message. Trust is lost.



  • Prev by Date: Re: Apply a rule to an expression only once
  • Next by Date: Re: NDSolve and NumericQ
  • Previous by thread: Re: Another point about Mathematica 8.0
  • Next by thread: Re: Another point about Mathematica 8.0