Re: k-permutations enumeration

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116498] Re: k-permutations enumeration
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 05:18:32 -0500 (EST)

I looked here and there, but didn't find a closed form or a built-in
function.

Here's a brute force method (probably a repeat of someone else's),
followed by a minor simplification (I think) of a Dana DeLouis solution.

(I needed to work it out both ways for my own benefit, and brute force was
surprisingly fast, I thought.)

Timing[v = {4, 5, 8, 3};
  15!/Times @@@
     Factorial@