Re: Another point about Mathematica 8.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116520] Re: Another point about Mathematica 8.0
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 04:34:30 -0500 (EST)

Microsoft discontinued Encarta -- their only superior product, IMHO --
with NO warning that I ever saw.

They discontinued MS Money -- in which thousands (millions?) of people had
years invested, with no good way to transfer the data elsewhere. 2 years
of warning is irrelevant; it doesn't change the ridiculous amount of work
involved or the data that will be lost and/or garbled. It would cost a
trivial amount to continue stock price updates, at least, and surely a 3rd
party company would love to do that for a nominal fee, which users would
gladly pay... but MS leaves us flapping in the breeze, so I'm rewriting
all that investment tracking capability in Mathematica.

Complain about Wolfram all you want, but try to name a better company for
comparison.

Bobby

DrMajorBob at yahoo.com