Re: Rational[a,b] vs Rational[1,2]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116644] Re: Rational[a,b] vs Rational[1,2]
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at eecs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 04:45:36 -0500 (EST)

On 2/21/2011 6:04 PM, DrMajorBob wrote:
> The head of 1/2 is Rational, but the head of a/b is Times.
I know that.
What is the head of Rational[a,b]?    where  a, b  are symbols, not
numbers...

FullForm[Rational[a,b]]
says
Rational[a,b]
  also
Head  says it is Rational.

  BUT IT IS NOT A Rational.
For example, Numerator[Rational[a,b]]  is not a, but   Rational[a,b]

I am aware of the info about atoms and Rational, and Complex too.

However, the situation above looks to me like it is hazardous.  Do you
see what I am getting at?
Regards
RJF