Re: Chain of packets in MathLink: are packets always strictly ordered?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg116642] Re: Chain of packets in MathLink: are packets always strictly ordered?
  • From: "Alexey Popkov" <lehin.p at>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 04:45:14 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for the detailed response! Things are getting clearer.

I have some additional questions:

1) I tried to get multilple output with EnterExpressionPacket and
ExpressionPacket but I have not found a way to get it. In which cases it is

2) Can ExpressionPacket be returned when expression is sent with
EnterExpressionPacket and in the slave kernel $Output has attribute
FormatType -> OutputForm? If it is, in which cases it is returned?

3) Is there a way to get Messages and Prints to be ExpressionPackets (or
just to be returned in a way suitable for good-looking printing in a
Notebook) when in the slave kernel $Output has attribute FormatType ->
OutputForm? The text-based version of complex expressons looks ugly.

P.S. I am interested in support of legacy versions of Mathematica as the
slaves and the FrontEnd v.7.0.1 (which I use) supports legacy PostScript. So
I'm interested in correct handling packets related to PostScript, too.