Best way to import 3D files and link its objects with metadata?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg116728] Best way to import 3D files and link its objects with metadata?
  • From: fonseca <public at>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 06:35:48 -0500 (EST)

I have a Mathematica program that imports CAD dxf files that contain
skeletons of a pipe network, in 3D (3D representation of the axes of a
network of pipes).

With Mathematica I first transform the dxf information into a graph
type information (detecting line connections, etc), to which I do a
series of calculations.

My problem is that before I can do the calculation, I have to enter
other type of data, like flow rates getting out at each end, pipe
diameters of each edge, etc. I do this, by hand, with lists of rules,
entered by hand into Mathematica.
This is very time consuming, since each time I change a little my
network (the dxf 3d file), I have to redo this association again (I
have no way of knowing if a moved/changed line still represents the
same pipe as before, and so it gets automatically a new name for its
graph edges).

1) Do you know if it is possible to associate metadata to each element
on the dxf file, and then import this metadata to Mathematica? Like
that I would fill in this kind of information on the CAD system...

2) Do you know of a better way of associating alpha-numeric data to
graph edges, without having to print the network very very big, so
that I can distinguish the names of all the nodes, and then produce a
list of rule by hand (GraphEdit could almost help, if it had a little
more functionality...)?

Thank you,
P. Fonseca