Re: Manually culling a list

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg115124] Re: Manually culling a list
  • From: Armand Tamzarian <mike.honeychurch at>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 04:24:28 -0500 (EST)

On Dec 30 2010, 8:10 pm, ntg <ntgl... at> wrote:
> Hello guys,
> Suppose I have a longish list of items that I want to manually cull.
> It seems I should be able to do something like
> checkList = ({Checkbox[], #)& /@ list
> Then, I could write
> instanceOfCheckList = checkList
> check away, and hopefully see something like
> {{True, item1}, {False, item2}, ...}
> which I could manipulate. But all I see is the the list of "checked"
> checkboxs and items, not the consequence of checking the boxes. I can
> do a FullForm on instanceOfCheckList and extract what I need via list
> surgery-- but that is inelegant. I'm sure there is some magic
> incantation involving Evaluate or Interpretation or Dynamic. Can you
> help?
> Thanks,
> Tom

It looks to me like CheckboxBar is what you need.

CheckboxBar[Dynamic[x], list]

then make your manual selections, then to recover your selections:

Note that on a Mac CheckboxBar has a formatting issue when you display
it vertically (WRI tech support have logged this bug) the labels, if
you have word labels, do no align very well with the check box.