Need help w- simple program

i purchased a copy of home edition. As my first programming project,
I'd like to simulate a lambertian (e.g. Intensity is a function of cos
theta) led light source and plot the light intensity impinging on a
surface 12" away. I'd like to plot the surface as 1024x1024 points
with different colors for ranges of intensities.

I know this is pretty simple with Mathematica, unfortunately I have no
experience with Mathematica and don't know where to begin.

Help!

Thanks,

Per