Augmenting Mathematica documentation - a serious proposal

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115264] Augmenting Mathematica documentation - a serious proposal
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 02:02:01 -0500 (EST)

On 04/01/2011 09:21, telefunkenvf14 wrote:

> Now I'm intrigued... Can we make a wiki version?!? (Guessing WRI would
> not be happy with this---umm...copy rights?)
>
> -RG

I think a set of extra information about Mathematica functions would be
a really valuable resource, and could include contributions from many
people. Copyright needn't be an issue if we did it by programmatically,
inserting a big "MORE INFORMATION" dropdown box at the start of a
standard documentation notebook.

This could all-but eliminate a whole range of problems that beginner
users encounter, such as

arr=expr//MatrixForm

The dropdown would supply a choice of links to websites that contained
additional information for that particular function. Contributors would
have to supply their web address to a central list, which would then be
used by the installation program.

I would be willing to set this up if enough people show interest (and
WRI don't raise serious objections :) ).

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk