Re: Quick Mathematica Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115293] Re: Quick Mathematica Question
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 02:07:40 -0500 (EST)

It's unclear exactly what types of objects you want here: strings
consisting of "0" and "1"; actual lists of digits 0 and 1; or integers
whose digits are 0 and 1.

If strings, the following will do what you want:

    stringstep[str_] := StringReplace[str, {"0" -> "1", "1" -> "10"}]
    NestList[stringstep, "0", 8]

If lists of binary digits:

    bitstep[lis_] := Flatten@Replace[lis, {0 -> 1, 1 -> {1, 0}}, 1]
    NestList[bitstep, {0}, 8]

If integers with digits 0 and 1, you could start with either of the
above and then just convert the strings or binary lists into integers.
Thus if you assign the last output to, say, bitList, then:

    FromDigits /@ bitList

If you want your results to be displayed, as you showed, on separate
lines, then just use ColumnForm on your output.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305