Astronomical question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115308] Astronomical question
  • From: mokambo <alexandrepassosalmeida at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 04:09:30 -0500 (EST)

Dear all,

I want to write a program in Mathematica using AstronomicalData to be
able to trace the moon
from a given point (given coordinates) and a certain period of time.
For example,
1. I'm in a street in some city. I'm facing South. Will I see the moon
and how high is it at 10:00 PM  GMT on Jan.7.11?
2. I'm in a street in some city. I'm facing SE. When will I see a full
moon from this location? At what time?
I want to be able to answer this sort of questions.

I have no knowledge of Astronomy besides common intuition about
eliptical orbits and such.

I want to learn by doing so any links to useful formulas or a general
template would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.