I'm puzzled by drastic truncation of y-axis in DateListLogPlot

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg115326] I'm puzzled by drastic truncation of y-axis in DateListLogPlot
  • From: James Stein <mathgroup at>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 04:13:02 -0500 (EST)

I ran into some curious behavior I can't explain. I have two rather benign
lists of numbers, of equal length. When either is plotted alone, all goes as
expected; and when they are plotted together, all goes *almost* as
expected.  Dropping the last two or more values makes the plotting normal,
but dropping only one, or none, the y axis extends up only to 5 (instead of
to 20); and the dropped values are not near the extreme values.

If you copy the below into a cell and evaluate it, the gist of what I've
said above will, I hope, be clear. Have I done something stupid?

(* d is a list of dates; a and b are data; we combine 'd'
with a and b to form two lists for DateListLogPlot: *)

(* a and b can be plotted alone; but when plotted together
we get drastic truncation at the top of the log axis: *)
DateListLogPlot[a,Joined->True,PlotLabel->"a alone"]
DateListLogPlot[b,Joined->True,PlotLabel->"b alone"]
DateListLogPlot[c,Joined->True,PlotLabel->"a and b"]

(* the drastic truncation occurs suddenly; if at least two rightmost values
are truncated, all is OK: *)