Re: How to change the directory for the docs?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115364] Re: How to change the directory for the docs?
  • From: kj <no.email at please.post>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 02:17:31 -0500 (EST)

In <ig97qk$1sa$1 at smc.vnet.net> Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> writes:

>A wiki, controlled by WRI or outside, could be valuable. But not at the
>expense of the built-in documentation, where, for example:

>   - the F1 key or the >> link in a ?name output in a notebook takes you
>directly to the relevant reference page;

>   - you can directly execute input in a doc page, as is or when you
>change it in place; and

>   - you can copy input cells or groups directly into your notebook,
>without any conversion difficulties.

>Moreover, my experience with on-line help for other programs is that the
>browser itself, however minimal, wastes valuable screen space. The
>economy of the Documentation Center window surpasses that of any on-line
>docs I've used.

Well, like I've written before, I happen to think that the standard
Mathematica documentation is a disgrace, something that all those
responsible for ought to be ashamed of.  I know that no one shares
my opinion, and I won't attempt to argue for it further.  But I
think you can see that, to someone who has my opinion, your post
will sound like "looking for one's lost keys under the lamppost",
i.e. placing convenience over effectiveness.

~kj