Re: How do I do very big integer computing by Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115397] Re: How do I do very big integer computing by Mathematica?
  • From: Filipe <filipedlarcanjo at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 02:36:35 -0500 (EST)

You might not be abble to represent such huge numbers in Mathematica. however, it's still possible to compute p^q (mod n) with some algebra tricks.

The basic idea is to compute the power incrementally and apply mod whenever posible. For instance:

2^10 (mod 5) =
2^3 * 2^7 (mod 5) =
3 * 2^3 * 2^4 (mod 5) =
3 * 3 * 2^3 * 2 (mod 5) =