Re: How do I do very big integer computing by

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115417] Re: How do I do very big integer computing by
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 02:40:32 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----

It is fairly clear that, both for theoretical and practical reasons, computer numbers need to be bounded. So the question up for grabs is where to put the bounds. Maybe for 64 bit machines Mathematica integers should go higher than at present.

But that misses the point, which is that taking mod of a large number that is formed by an iteration (Power, in this case) can often be done by interleaving Mod and thus avoiding overflow.

> is there some funtions like this: StringMod["111...111","345"]

I have absolutely no idea what a putative StringMod would do.

There is a way to get the result in question without an intermediate overflow.

In[16]:= PowerMod[2, 2^64, 1342352]
Out[16]= 963840

PowerMod internally will interleave Power steps (squaring) and Times steps with Mod.

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research