Re: Caution on BibTex references with Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115652] Re: Caution on BibTex references with Mathematica
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 05:40:50 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 05:53:58 -0500 (EST), Armand Tamzarian wrote:
> On Jan 14, 10:20 pm, Alexei Boulbitch <alexei.boulbi... at iee.lu> wrote:
>> Yes, Todd,
>>
>> As I have already reported, I tried to insert an EndNote 9 citation
>> into a notebook Mathematica 8, PC/XP.
>> Mathematica was unable to localize the EndNote data base, and the whole
>> operation failed. So not only bibtex,
>> but also EndNote citations are not supported. That is in contrast to
>> documentation.
>>
>> Dear WR Team members, please include this information into your report
>> sent to the person whom it concerns.
>>
>> Regards, Alexei
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I just wanted to share a recent experience using Mathematica 8's new
>> citation management functionality.  I run Mathematica under Window's XP
>> (32 bit) and was excited when Mathematica 8 was released to see
>> documentation indicating that it could accept BibTex citations.
>>
>> I maintain my own reference database using a piece of open source
>> software called JabRef (http://jabref.sourceforge.net/) which is very
>> nice.  Unfortunately, I was never able to get Mathematica to
>> successfully read my bibliography database.
>>
>> When I contacted technical support about it, and provided test data for
>> them, I eventually received the following response:
>>
>> "I apologize for the length of time that's been required for this. We're
>> still working on figuring it completely. We know that bibtex entries
>> which have inline latex often has some issues. Inline latex is processed
>> but some of the kinks have yet to be worked out. Your example has been
>> sent to the developer in charge of this area, and hopefully in the next
>> release we will have smoother integration of Bibtex into Mathematica."
>>
>> It appears that there is still significant work needed to make this
>> functionality really robust in Mathematica.  Be careful if you invest
>> significant time into this.
>>
>> Anyone else have experience on this?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Todd
>>
>> --
>> Alexei Boulbitch, Dr. habil.
>> Senior Scientist
>> Material Development
>>
>> IEE S.A.
>> ZAE Weiergewan
>> 11, rue Edmond Reuter
>> L-5326 CONTERN
>> Luxembourg
>>
>> Tel: +352 2454 2566
>> Fax: +352 2454 3566
>> Mobile: +49 (0) 151 52 40 66 44
>>
>> e-mail: alexei.boulbi... at iee.lu
>>
>> www.iee.lu
>>
>> --
>>
>> This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or
>> otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended
>> recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby
>> notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly
>> prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original
>> transmittal from your system. Thank you for your co-operation.

> [...]

Yes, this is true (and sorry for not replying earlier...I had intended to).  We
developed and tested against EndNote X2, X3, and X4.  We did not test against
earlier versions.  And our EndNote developer contacts seem to be uncertain about
the stability of the APIs we're using in versions predating X2.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group