Re: SetOptions does not work with Grid

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115728] Re: SetOptions does not work with Grid
  • From: Armand Tamzarian <mike.honeychurch at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 05:27:57 -0500 (EST)

On Jan 18, 9:52 pm, Istv=E1n Zachar <z... at freemail.hu> wrote:
> Can anyone at least confirm this behaviour?
> Istvan
>
> On Jan 13, 9:24 am, Istv=E1n Zachar <z... at freemail.hu> wrote:
>
> > Dear Group
>
> > SetOptions is notoriously ignorant in case of some functions, like
> > Grid, see code below. First grid appears without a a frame, though it
> > should have one. Is it a bug? Is there a workaround other than
> > Untprotecting Grid and use Options[Grid] = {new options..}?
>
> > SetOptions[Grid, Frame -> All];
> > Grid[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}}]
> > Grid[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}}, Frame -> All]
>
> > Istv=E1n

As it happens I just asked tech support today why SetOptions doesn't
work with Grid (or Column) but does work with Row. The answer was that
Row is a RowBox and Grid and Column are GridBoxes. "GridBox does not
support SetOptions"

In other words it doesn't work because SetOptions isn't supported but
no explanation of why SetOptions isn't, or can't be, supported.

Interestingly to demonstrate this behaviour of GridBox the response
was first to Options[GridBox], to show the options, then
SetOptions[GridBox] to get the message. Then do the same for RowBox.

When you do that you see that the system tells you GridBox has options
but you cant SetOptions (you get a message), whereas RowBox doesn't
have options (empty list) but you can SetOptions!

I've found a few other cases of SetOptions not working. I'll gather
them and post them to the group.

Mike