Re: SetOptions does not work with Grid
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg115784] Re: SetOptions does not work with Grid
- From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
- Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 06:33:09 -0500 (EST)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
In article <ih6eb4$3dl$1 at smc.vnet.net>, Armand Tamzarian <mike.honeychurch at gmail.com> wrote: > As it happens I just asked tech support today why SetOptions doesn't > work with Grid (or Column) but does work with Row. The answer was that > Row is a RowBox and Grid and Column are GridBoxes. "GridBox does not > support SetOptions" > > In other words it doesn't work because SetOptions isn't supported but > no explanation of why SetOptions isn't, or can't be, supported. > > Interestingly to demonstrate this behaviour of GridBox the response > was first to Options[GridBox], to show the options, then > SetOptions[GridBox] to get the message. Then do the same for RowBox. > > When you do that you see that the system tells you GridBox has options > but you cant SetOptions (you get a message), whereas RowBox doesn't > have options (empty list) but you can SetOptions! Just a few more additions to Mathematica's extensive "gotcha!" list (or, as someone else started calling them -- and it's a great label -- "Today's WTF" list.