Re: DesignerUnits: Gallons divided by km yields an area.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115780] Re: DesignerUnits: Gallons divided by km yields an area.
  • From: David Carraher <david_carraher at terc.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 06:32:23 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I'm impressed with the conception and functionality of DesignerUnits.

Here's a simple example.

[Please excuse the formatting.  In Mathematica the formatting is much more

readable.]

Question 1: On average, how much (what volume of) gasoline does my car use

to travel one meter if expends 4 gallons over 100 miles ?

There are more direct ways to solve this, but it's fun to divide gallons

by km to get an area.

a. Four gallons divided by 100 miles gives an area.

In[1]:= (4¡Egallon)/(100¡Emile)

Imagine this as the cross section of a pipe that runs alongside the car.

The car consumes the gasoline corresponding to that contained in

the pipe section it travels along.

Now multiply that cross-section by one meter to get a volume.

That is how much gasoline is used along a one m stretch of road (assuming

constant consumption).

In[3]:= ((4gallon)/(100mile) *1¡Em)

Now convert back to gallons

In[6]:= ((4¡Egallon)/(100¡Emile) 1¡Em)/gallongallon

Out[6]= 0.0000248548£»gallon

In[7]:= Rationalize[%]Out[7]= 5/201168¡Egallon

Sure, you could have simply figured out how many meters are in a mile, but

it wouldn't have been as much funn.

Here are some questions that can effortlessly be addressed:

"How many miles per hour does my hair grow?"

"How many Hiroshima atomic bombs would it take to raise the temperature of

the Caribbean by 1 degree Celsius?

"How far does light travel in one nanosecond?"

It is particularly nice is to see the units displayed along the way, when

computations are chained.

David