Incredible slow Plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120145] Incredible slow Plot
  • From: Iván Lazaro <gaminster at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 07:35:00 -0400 (EDT)

Hi!

I'm trying to Plot a result from NDSolve. The problem is that when I
pass this solution to Plot it takes an incredible long time (four
hours for times between 0 and 1200) to plot. I tried generating an
image file (.jpg, .eps, etc.) but that doesn't change anything. I
tried also giving to Plot the option PerformanceGoal -> "Speed", but
it gives me only half an hour less of waiting time. The other options
(like PlotPoints -> Number, MaxRecursion -> 0 ) give an improvement
but the image is ugly unless PlotPoints is high, which at the end is
the same.

I tried also asking for Plot only the last 200 units of time, trying
to avoid the most oscillating part of the graphic, but that really
doesn't help (and really it's not what I need).

Finally, the resulting InterpolatingFunction, when evaluated outside
Plot, evaluates fast, and a ListPlot using points returned by a Table
works well, but the resulting graphic is insanely big (35, 36 Mb) if I
put the points necessary to give account of the features of the
dynamic.

Unfortunately I can't give you an example because the equations I'm
solving are too long, but I wonder if there is someway to generate the
graphic, either on the interface or in a file, to not be so slow.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for this vague question (which, by the
way, without examples, is useless... by I had to give it a try).