Re: Beeps in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120151] Re: Beeps in Mathematica
  • From: Alexey Popkov <lehin.p at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 05:00:55 -0400 (EDT)

On 9 Jul, 16:43, Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net> wrote:
> In article <iv6j4m$svp$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
>  Alexey Popkov <lehin.p at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I just have figured out the reason why Beep[]
> > command did not produce any sound on my Windows 2000 installation of
> > Mathematica 7. It is because the system registry parameter "Beep" was
> > set to "No" in the following registry key:
>
> > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Sound]
>
> > Setting it to "Yes" makes Beep[] command working (after restarting
> > Windows). I still consider this as a fault because I expect
> > Mathematica do not depend on OS-specific undocumented settings.
>
> Given that an operating system (like Windows, MacOS, or Linux) trumps
> any application running under it, how is an application like Mathematica
> supposed to achieve this independence?
>
> Joe Gwinn
>
> PS: For the record, I run Mathematica under MacOS at home and Windows XP at work.

Mathematica already has such independence at least for the old built-
in warning beep. I was forced to set

SetOptions[$FrontEndSession, MessageOptions -> {"WarningAction" ->
None}];

for preventing beeps when trying to edit cells with the Editable ->
False option. At the same time the Beep[] command did not work.