Re: Enterprise level Mathematica idea

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg120250] Re: Enterprise level Mathematica idea
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 21:20:52 -0400 (EDT)

By the way, from a very quick read of your proposal, this all appears
to be completely doable in Mathematica.  It's just a question of

I'd be happy to discuss the project with you and flesh out its scope.

On Jul 14, 5:21 am, Armand Tamzarian <mike.honeychu... at>
> On Jul 10, 7:04 pm, "McHale, Paul" <Paul.McH... at> wrote:> Rather than start with the how, I would like to describe the end user experience that we would like to shoot for as if I were reviewing something th=
> at doesn't exist.
> > When a user wants to start a new Mathematica document, they simply laun=
>  an empty notebook.  The user is likely not to know anything beyond a=
> ic few commands.  However, to  perform complex tasks specific for the=
>  organization, they simply leverage the shared corporate library.  Th=
is l=
> ibrary makes it possible to develop very powerful notebooks without the n=
> d for learning details of implementation that are unique to that  organ=
> ation.
> > Example code of connecting to a database, retrieving product specific m=
> ufacturing information over a date range and with regard to a certain cri=
> ria is accomplished by one "corporate command", or cf*[].
> > myResults=cfPartsInfo[x"Product",x"Start date", x"End Date", x"Criter=
>  from Result table"];> Max[myResults]
> > Min[MyResults]
> > Length[myList]
> > Note: Depending on the format of myResults, there may be cfMax[], cfMin=
>  and cfLength[].
> > Note: all parameters start with x.  This indicates there are multiple=
> hoices.
> > When the user selects cfPartsPassed[] from a auto-generated palette (de=
> ved from shared library), the placeholders or the parameters buttons.  =
> en pressed, a list pops up which the user can select which product they w=
> t to look at.  The same for date and which criteria.
> > myResults=cfPartsInfo["Rocket MarkA,"June, 2010", "June, 2011", "Pass=
> ail"];
> > Would return the pass/fail status of Rocket MarkA for the past year.
> > Required functionality to support this effort:
> > 1. Ability for developers to write functions cf* and deploiy them to a =
> ntral repository
> > 2. Ability for developers to dynamically populate the popup list for pa=
> meter selection using repository code and network access> 3. Support for =
auto-palette generation based on repository