Re: Enterprise level Mathematica idea

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120250] Re: Enterprise level Mathematica idea
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 21:20:52 -0400 (EDT)

By the way, from a very quick read of your proposal, this all appears
to be completely doable in Mathematica.  It's just a question of
execution...

I'd be happy to discuss the project with you and flesh out its scope.

Best,
David
http://scientificarts.com

On Jul 14, 5:21 am, Armand Tamzarian <mike.honeychu... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Jul 10, 7:04 pm, "McHale, Paul" <Paul.McH... at excelitas.com> wrote:> Rather than start with the how, I would like to describe the end user experience that we would like to shoot for as if I were reviewing something th=
> at doesn't exist.
>
> > When a user wants to start a new Mathematica document, they simply laun=
ch=

>  an empty notebook.  The user is likely not to know anything beyond a=
 bas=
> ic few commands.  However, to  perform complex tasks specific for the=
ir=
>  organization, they simply leverage the shared corporate library.  Th=
is l=
> ibrary makes it possible to develop very powerful notebooks without the n=
ee=
> d for learning details of implementation that are unique to that  organ=
iz=
> ation.
>
> > Example code of connecting to a database, retrieving product specific m=
an=

> ufacturing information over a date range and with regard to a certain cri=
te=
> ria is accomplished by one "corporate command", or cf*[].
>
> > myResults=cfPartsInfo[x"Product",x"Start date", x"End Date", x"Criter=
ia=

>  from Result table"];> Max[myResults]
> > Min[MyResults]
> > Length[myList]
>
> > Note: Depending on the format of myResults, there may be cfMax[], cfMin=
[]=
>  and cfLength[].
> > Note: all parameters start with x.  This indicates there are multiple=
 c=
> hoices.
>
> > When the user selects cfPartsPassed[] from a auto-generated palette (de=
ri=

> ved from shared library), the placeholders or the parameters buttons.  =
Wh=
> en pressed, a list pops up which the user can select which product they w=
an=
> t to look at.  The same for date and which criteria.
>
> > myResults=cfPartsInfo["Rocket MarkA,"June, 2010", "June, 2011", "Pass=
/F=
> ail"];
>
> > Would return the pass/fail status of Rocket MarkA for the past year.
>
> > Required functionality to support this effort:
>
> > 1. Ability for developers to write functions cf* and deploiy them to a =
ce=
> ntral repository
>
> > 2. Ability for developers to dynamically populate the popup list for pa=
ra=

> meter selection using repository code and network access> 3. Support for =
auto-palette generation based on repository
> [...]
>
> > This provides critical functionality not available in any package I kno=
w =
> of:
> > 1. Users will need to learn very little about mathematica but will be a=
bl=

> e to leverage it well beyond their understanding.  I think this is true=
 f=
> or all Mathematica users.  How many of could truly understand all the a=
lg=
> orithms used in the optmization functions?  Why should the users be req=
ui=
> red to understand Mathematica when the corporate specific code can be dev=
el=
> oped once and abstracted from the user?
>
> > 2. The developers will have a trivial way to "deploy" their code to the=
 u=

> sers.  When the users chooses to "update local library" Mathematica sho=
ul=
> d populate the palettes accordingly and update any help files as approria=
te=
> .
>
> > 3. The line between corporate code and Mathematica base code could shou=
ld=

>  be blurred to the point of being indistinguishable to the user.  Thi=
s is=
>  targeted strongly at managers and engineers (data centric people) who =
will=
>  not learn Mathematica so they may benefit from it without knowledge of=
 how=
>  it is being done.  This abstraction is critical to lowering the barr=
ier =
> for entry by the more classical user community.
>
> > 4.  This functionality decouples the users from the changing (agile) =
la=

> ndscape of corporate implementation of things like databases.  Change t=
he=
>  database, update the code, publish to shared repository.  Users will=
 get=
>  update notification on launch of Mathematica or possible push notifica=
tion=
> .
>
> > As we move forward in areas such as defense, it is becoming massively c=
ri=

> tical that we learn to do more with less.  We have no choice.  This i=
s =
> an indisputable trend.  This also means we need to force multiply.  W=
e =
> need to leverage the efforts of skilled developers to enable members of m=
an=
> agement and technical staff with minimal transfer effort and maximal tran=
sf=
> er control.  Without this, we run a greater risk of failing at our miss=
io=
> n.  I believe Mathematica has all the base requirements to do this.  =
We=