Re: Solve never calls Equal?

On 18 Jul 2011, at 12:14, Richard Fateman wrote:

> Clearly one cannot, in general, find an
> exact solution to a transcendental equation using rational arithmetic,

> so I was a little surprised by Reduce working just fine, here.

Of course one does not use "arithmetic". You still don't understand what
is going on here, but I am now at an airport during a break in a long
flight so won't be able to educated you how it is really done (and why
your fix "works") just yet. But if you ask nicely, maybe in the future

Andrzej Kozlowski