Computer-Based Math Summit

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120408] Computer-Based Math Summit
  • From: Sol Lederman <sol at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 21:06:21 -0400 (EDT)

[ I am helping to put on this international conference and am wanting to spread the word. The conference may be of interest to Mathematica users since it is part of the work of ComputerBasedMath.org which was created by Conrad Wolfram and is initially being supported by Wolfram Research. Separately from the conference, members of this community may want to get involved by helping to develop courseware. ]

How do we fix math education? The importance of math to jobs, society, and thinking has exploded over the last few decades. Meanwhile, math education has gotten stuck or has even slipped backward. Why has this chasm opened up? It's all about computers: when they do the calculating, people can work on harder questions, try more concepts, and play with a multitude of new ideas.

computerbasedmath.org is a project founded by Conrad Wolfram and initially supported by Wolfram Research to build a completely new math curriculum with computer-based math at its heart -- alongside a campaign to refocus math education away from historical hand-calculating techniques and toward relevant and conceptually interesting topics.

computerbasedmath.org is hosting a two-day summit to address the worldwide math education crisis by answering the question, In an era of ubiquitous computing, how should we rebuild math education from the ground up, to keep pace with and drive progress in the real world?

If you are a leader in industry, technology, government or education with astake in math we urge you to request an invitation to the summit and to join us in addressing math (and associated STEM) education from all perspectives to kick-start a rational, computer-based new direction.

Please see the Computer-Based Math Education Summit site ( http://computerbasedmath.org/events/londonsummit2011/index.html) for more information. Contact the summit organizers at summit at computerbasedmath.org with questions.

Whether or not you can attend the inaugural summit we welcome your participation in the Computer-Based Math project. Click the Sign Up link at the Computer-Based Math home page (http://computerbasedmath.org) to keep informed. If you know of other leaders who should be involved in the project we would greatly appreciate knowing about them through the Sign Up link or via the summit at computerbasedmath.org email.