MathGroup Archive 2011

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: CDF limitations and unclear professional strategy

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120435] Re: CDF limitations and unclear professional strategy
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 19:45:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Reply-to: comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica at googlegroups.com

No complaints to WRI. And I am very glad that I can now create nbp/cdfs locally, without going through WRI's website. (Aside: This CDF player release confuses me a bit. Was the CDF player available before this release only a reader, without interactivity?)

Nonetheless, dittos to P. Fonseca.

The whole data management scheme stymies me. Some recent threads touch on this. Notebooks just aren't convenient containers for large amounts of data.  Say, tens of MBs? Certainly the Notebook Save's become lethargic. And for much larger data volumes, I notice latencies in the Front End's refresh of the notebook. That might have been while scrolling, though not displaying large imagery. But that was a while ago. I've since stopped trying to keep so much data in notebooks, and am now trimming my problems/presentations to fit the format's obvious capabilities.

My nagging suspicion is there are certain inefficiencies and limitations as sociated with Notebooks' encoding in text instead of binary. In a way, isn't Mathematica still character-based because of this? (Even though it eventually translates to something else represented by those characters, a la a universal computer.)

Vince Virgilio

• Prev by Date: Code is not working...
  • Next by Date: Re: How Can I Include a Button in a Manipulate
  • Previous by thread: Re: CDF limitations and unclear professional strategy
  • Next by thread: Phase Diagrams and problem probably with NIntegrate (or FindRoot)