how to ListPlot3D large data sets

Hi,
I guess I am pushing the limits of ListPlot3D. I try to ListPlot3d a data
set with many millions of records. I was not able to get an image from the
full dataset, it takes forever. If I use e.g. every fifth record, although
slow, I get an image. The machine running Mathematica is Windows 7 (64 bit),
has 24 GB RAM and there was no swapping. I wonder what is considered as a
reasonable data size for ListPlot3D and are there other tools in Mathematica
for visualization of large data sets?
Thanks in advance,
--Ted