Re: Memory leak or flawed garbage collector

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg120585] Re: Memory leak or flawed garbage collector
  • From: "Fabrice P. Laussy" <fabrice.laussy at>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 06:00:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Friday, July 29, 2011 06:32:52 pm you wrote:
> Essentially impossible to diagnose conclusively without actual code. But
> from the ?RegMatrix$632 result above, it appears you use some Module
> local symbols to create DownValues. I believe that creates references so
> that the ref counting mechanism will not allow freeing them, What I
> typically do is explicitly Clear such variables before exiting Module.

Dear Daniel,

I thought the description would be enough for a guru to identify if this was a bug or some problem from my side. As I said I couldn't reproduce the problem in simplified versions. If you want an instance of the code I can provide it.
> There is an example of this at

however I think for a while you provided enough information hinting that the
problem lies on my side. I am calling external modules and this might result
in locking variables. I'll study your link & come back here if I can't make
sense of it.

Thanks for your tips.