Doesn't work in Mathematica 8

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg120620] Doesn't work in Mathematica 8
  • From: "Scott Blomquist (sblom)" <scott at>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 07:26:26 -0400 (EDT)
An equation for plotting a Batman symbol has been making the rounds on
the internet. I figured it'd be fun to reproduce the originator's
result for myself in Mathematica 8, so I carefully typed it in and
tried a ContourPlot[batman[x,y]==0,{x,-8,8},{y,-4,4}]. It didn't work.
I broke it down into constituent pieces and plotted each of the
topmost () sections by itself. Most of them work as expected, but a
few of them don't.

Reports from those with access to older versions of Mathematica
indicate some luck getting the equation to work with ImplicitPlot:

Do any of you have any tips for fixing my attempt to ContourPlot this?
Any ideas why this is working with older versions of Mathematica but
not the latest one?