Doesn't work in Mathematica 8

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120620] Doesn't work in Mathematica 8
  • From: "Scott Blomquist (sblom)" <scott at blomqui.st>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 07:26:26 -0400 (EDT)

An equation for plotting a Batman symbol has been making the rounds on
the internet. I figured it'd be fun to reproduce the originator's
result for myself in Mathematica 8, so I carefully typed it in and
tried a ContourPlot[batman[x,y]==0,{x,-8,8},{y,-4,4}]. It didn't work.
I broke it down into constituent pieces and plotted each of the
topmost () sections by itself. Most of them work as expected, but a
few of them don't.

Reports from those with access to older versions of Mathematica
indicate some luck getting the equation to work with ImplicitPlot:
http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/j2qjc/do_you_like_batman_do_you_like_math_my_math/c28ozge

Do any of you have any tips for fixing my attempt to ContourPlot this?
Any ideas why this is working with older versions of Mathematica but
not the latest one?