Re: Template for developing a package application in workbench

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119462] Re: Template for developing a package application in workbench
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 07:02:20 -0400 (EDT)

On 03/06/2011 00:12, yitzhakbg wrote:
> This is the kind of answer I was seeking when I requested feedback (for some reason, still not posted) on using workbench. I was deliberating as to whether it is worthwhile or not.
> I'd be interested on hearing your pros and cons.
> Thanks,
> Yitzhak

I think to be fair, the Workbench is probably best used to organise
large projects which are partly written in other languages - such as
Java. However, I have such a project, and organise it entirely using
batch files to perform tasks such as total recompilation.

I tried the WB once, and discovered that all the special Mathematica
characters are spelled out - /[Infinity] etc. For many people, this one
defect is enough to spoil the WB experience.

The front end will let you edit .m files (as well as notebooks), and
this interface is superb. You can add text and heading cells, which
behave almost exactly as they would in a notebook. You can also run the
code, just as you would in a notebook. When you save the result away,
any output cells are discarded, and heading/text cells are converted
into special comments, that are automatically converted back the next
time you perform an edit.

I find this environment extremely convenient, and use it almost exclusively.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk