Re: problems with strings mixed into notebook cells

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119481] Re: problems with strings mixed into notebook cells
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 07:05:45 -0400 (EDT)

Do you apply any styles to your inputs (colored text, bold, italics, etc.)?
There are some issues like what you describe that can happen when doing a lot of
editing with styled text.

You can easily clean out the styles in a cell by selecting its cell bracket and
using Format->Clear Formatting.

If you think this doesn't have anything to do with what you're seeing, then I
invite you to send a notebook with the non-functional input to tech support for
analysis.  That would be helpful to us in fixing it for future versions.

Incidentally, I'm quite certain that Print[] commands by themselves weren't
causing problems.  My guess, based upon the rest of your email, is that the
problem was caused by editing the strings you were probably putting inside of
the Print[] commands.  So, what you were seeing with the Print commands was
likely to be a variation of the string/comment issue which you later found.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group