Re: mathematica 8 and psfrag

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119636] Re: mathematica 8 and psfrag
  • From: pmt <ptiitola at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 07:21:07 -0400 (EDT)

> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 3:59 AM, pmt
> <ptiitola at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I recently updated from mathematica 7.0 to 8.0, and
> have now encountered problem with replacing
> > my plot labels with LaTeX code using the psfrag
> package. Everything worked perfectly with the
> > earlier version and the exact same plots, but now
> psfrag leaves all labels unchanged. I use Kile
> > on Ubuntu 11.04 for LaTeX editing.
>
> I do this frequently and have had no problems,
> although I use TeXShop
> on the Macintosh.  One might conjecture that your
> graphics are being
> rasterized, either explicitly or behind the scenes.
>  If you are
> rasterizing your graphics, say to reduce the file
> size of 3D graphics
> or to get opacity to work correctly, then you might
> try overlaying the
> text on top of the graphics.  Here's an example that
> includes the
> string "expmx2" in four spots; two are inside the
> Rasterize command
> and two are outside.
>
> g = Plot3D[Exp[-x^2 - y^2], {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}];
> Labeled[
>  Overlay[{Rasterize[
>     Show[g, Graphics3D[Text["expmx2", {1, 1, 1}]],
>      PlotLabel -> "expm2"],
>     RasterSize -> 800, ImageSize -> 400],
>    "expmx2"}, Alignment -> {-0.5, 0.5}],
>  "expmx2"]
>
> I then call LaTeX with the following psfrag command:
> \psfrag{expmx2}{$e^{-(x^2+y^2)}$}
>
> Only the two strings outside the Rasterize are
> affected.
>
> If you are not explicitly calling Rasterize or
> otherwise converting
> your graphics to bitmap, then there may be some other
> reason that your
> graphics are being rasterized behind the scences.  Of
> course, explicit
> code exhibiting the problem would help diagnose the
> problem.
>
> Mark McClure

Thank you for your detailed reply. Good to know about Rasterize, however, I don't think that is the problem here. Are you using mathematica version 8? My suspicion is that there is some difference in how mathematica 8 creates eps files compared to earlier versions. Even simplest examples fail for me after upgrading to 8, say:

plot = Plot[x, {x, -0.1, 0.1}, AxesLabel -> {eps, SUM},
  BaseStyle -> {FontSize -> 10}]
Export["plot.eps", plot]

\psfrag{eps}{$\epsilon$}
\psfrag{SUM}{$\Sigma$}