Re: Problem with Position

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg119648] Re: Problem with Position
  • From: Dominic Wörner <dominic.woerner at>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 03:59:59 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Leonid,

Many thanks for your advise but I still have one problem

When I write to a file using WriteString[str, ToString[number]] it will
be written in OutputForm. Now I thought using your advice It should work
with Position[..., x_/;x==OutputForm[number]]
but unfortunately it doesn't
Am 15.06.2011 um 12:59 schrieb Leonid Shifrin:

> Hi Dominic,
> This is most likely a symbolic/numerical issue. Position is based on
symbolic rather than numeric comparisons.
<dominic.woerner at> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have to import data from a csv file. And I get a structure
data[[rows]]={first, second,...}.
> Now I want to find the rows in which, say the first entry has a
specific values.
> By just looking at the data there are for example entries with value
> But when I try Flatten@Position[data[[All,1]],0.785398] or with
ToString[0.785398] I just get {}