Put; Using Put to save large lists of data is very slow.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119823] Put; Using Put to save large lists of data is very slow.
  • From: Roger Wilson <rogerhw999 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 07:45:37 -0400 (EDT)

I have data lists composed of many lists (say ~100k) where each list
is ~20-30 items (always the same number); numbers, short strings, True/
False or Indeterminate.

Saving this to disk (using Put) takes ~10minutes, reading it from disk
(using Get) takes ~10seconds.

Does anyone know why such a difference between reading and writing
speeds exist?  A factor of two would seem reasonable, not a factor of
60.